The Town Clerk’s Office provides specific information to residents and others having business within the Town.
The Town Clerk’s Office is responsible for the following tasks:
Town Clerk Info
- Boat registrations
- Motor vehicle registrations
- Dog licensing
- Marriage licenses
- Fishing licenses
- Hunting licenses
- OHRV registrations
- Records and provides certified copies of birth, death, marriage and divorce records
- Records and certifies Town Meeting legislation and appropriations
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed officials
- Provides access to public records
- Responds to inquiries from the general public
- Works with the Supervisors of the Checklist to register voters and to conduct local, state, and national elections
The following is a quick reference tool of what you may need to complete your transaction:
|Service:||Be sure to bring...|
- Driver's license
- If title exempt, a bill of sale and current registration, out of state title, OR 19A (VIN Verification)
|Dog Registration||- Proof of rabies shot|
|Marriage License||- Positive ID
- If not first marriage, bring divorce decree or death certificate of spouse
|Voter Registration||- Positive ID
- Proof of Residence
|Family Historical Records||- Positive ID
- Proof of Relation
|Certified copies of Vital Records||- Positive ID
- Proof of Relation
Other Important Information
|Title Law||The State of New Hampshire has a 15-year law for motor vehicle titles. Vehicles that do not need a title are 1997 or older. If you are registering an exempt vehicle for the first time you will need to have a VIN verification and a bill of sale OR a bill of sale and the current registration from the last owner or an out-of-state title. We cannot complete the registration without one of
Paperwork for a VIN verification can be obtained at the Town Clerk’s office. The VIN verification must be completed by a police officer, inspection station, or dealership.
|Vehicle Registration by Mail||
If you would like to renew your registration from home you can now do that. Prior to your month of renewal, you should receive a form in the mail. On this you will find listed your current vehicles and the State and Town fees for them. Simply write two checks…one to the Town of Bennington and one to the State of NH-MV and mail them back to the Town Clerk’s office with a self-addressed stamped return envelope. We will process your registration and mail your new registration and decals back to you promptly…no waiting in lines!
If you would like a Transfer Station decal please note what vehicle you would like it on before returning your renewal notice to us.
If you have any questions about this program, please call us at 588-2189.
|Dog(s) Registration by Mail||Owners who registered dogs last year will receive a form in the mail near the beginning of the year. Please check the information and make corrections if needed. Please make sure your dog’s rabies inoculation is up to date. The form will inform you when our annual Rabies Clinic is. This is a great time to update shots and register your dogs.|